The Western Devs take a break from their collective workdays to discuss developer productivity
Recorded on Friday, February 5, 2016
- Can you measure developer productivity?
- Value delivered is contextual
- Measuring over time
- Measuring developers vs. teams
- Choosing appropriate metrics that measure the right things
- Distractions/external factors
- Collaboration and/or competition
- What's driving the desire for measuring developer productivity?
- Measuring beyond code: professional development, mentoring, marketing
- Individual vs. team evaluations
- Constant peer feedback
- How do you manage promotions/pay raises without measuring productivity?
- Performance review != salary review
- conversation devolves into a salary discussion for longer than it should have
- How do you allocate your budget within the context of measuring a developer's productivity?
- Divorcing salary from productivity
- Measuring productivity in terms of cookies
- Employees vs. consultants